Face Transformer

Have you ever wondered how your 4 year old kid will look like as a teenager?
Would you recognize your face if given a glimpse into the future, 30 years from now?
How would you look like if you were born in another continent?

The Face Transformer is a very cool program developed by the computer science department at The University of St Andrews, the oldest university in Scotland. They have a simple web based user interface for uploading an image of a face and then playing with it to see how it will look in different scenarios. You can, for example, change the age, race or gender of the face. The image I’ve posted here is a collage of transformations applied to my face: Top row: The original image, young, old, ape. Bottom row: Afro-Caribbean, West-Asian, East-Asian, feminized. As you can see they have done a great job at identifying the unique facial characteristics of people in each continent, and can predict pretty well how people’s appearance changes with time. Go ahead try it on yourselves and your family. Then, upload pictures of people from work and let the real fun begin…

~~~
p.s. It is very dangerous to be dead! (credit goes to my 4.5 year old son)

15 comments:

John J Savo said...

Glad to see you're back. Missed your articles.

By the way, the face program won't make me black, which is funny, because I'm about as white as they come...

Uri Kalish said...

Thanks John, glad 2 b back!

Tatiana said...

Love your post and the samples of your face, and will definitely check this program ASAP. Have you been on holidays or so?

Tatiana said...

Oh ok, I saw where you were, and would have seen it earlier if I took the time to look a tiny bit under the latest post of yours :) Glad you're back from reserve duty and hope you will not have to do this again any time soon...

rv dealers said...

hey uri , great to see you back . I missed your articles .

gracemags said...

welcome back uri. i've been away too. checked your blog as soon as i got back :)

Anonymous said...

your Afro-Caribbean version looks a lot like elad levit

Ran Mainzer said...

How are you mr.Kalish?
Great to see the blog again.
As always, it is great.

P.S.
I tried the face transformer, and no matter how old or what race I chose, I looked gorgeous.
Go figure.....

Uri Kalish said...

@Mainzer,

:-)))

Ria said...

I love this post... i tried it out, freaky!

Robin Easton said...

Aaw heck, I'd know you anywhere!! LOL This cracked me up and I HAD to lave a comment. The thing is I think you one of these people who has an eternally youthful face no matter what age you are. I really could not see a heck of a lot of difference in them. Okay some but not much.

Now I am off to watch myself turned into an old hag! :) and back to a youthful baby.

Robin Easton said...

PS I also LOVED the "faces sequence" you did on your sidebar. I just did a post with a few faces thrown together like that and I had fun....BUT you were more brave than I was. I will have to try it again and go full hog...and not leave out the truly bizarre photos!!! LOL And believe me there were some VERY bizarre faces. I love pulling faces. I should have been a Jim Carey. People think my face is all sweet and actually I can make some truly wild faces. :) :)

annie said...

Face transformer: if you add music and make a vid with the pictures, ....mm. how appealing.

Svara said...

This looks like such a cool program. I couldn't get it to work for me in Firefox though.

Your blog is beautiful! You did a great job!

gabreala said...

You are not just funny alone, you are AWESOME